Casual Talking-type Sessions
Talking sessions are 30-60 minutes via secure video-conference or in person. Expect assignments to help deepen the work we will be doing together. We may cry and will most definitely laugh. Examples of topics in sessions are:
- Establish goals for changing, reducing, and stopping eating disorder behaviors
- Work to strengthen your “Healthy Self” and learn/practice ways to challenge eating disorder thoughts
- Plan and discuss exposure and response prevention work (e.g. meal challenges)
- Assess and adjust goals as necessary
Meal & Grocery Support
Having a meal or snack with you can be powerful as I will work with you in the moment to stand up to and challenge eating disorder thoughts, behaviors, and rituals you face when eating. Meal sessions are planned in advance and goals are established in collaboration with your dietitian and/or therapist. Examples of meal & grocery support are:
- Provide in the moment support to you while grocery shopping to help work through any overwhelming or stressful feelings and to help break habits such as placing judgment on food and reading nutrition labels. (Challenge the thoughts of food being good or bad.)
- Meal sessions may be in public such as restaurants, grocery stores, or other public places or can take place via secure video-conference. (*There may be additional travel cost for locations outside of Fort Worth, TX.)
- I will provide support to you after the session via text or email to ensure the session was as beneficial as possible.
- Advanced meal support sessions are available for those that are further along and more stable in their recovery, as determined by your dietitian and/or therapist.
Clothes shopping and/or ridding your closet of any “sick” clothes can be a very triggering and difficult process during recovery, but is inevitably necessary as your body changes.
- I can accompany you during shopping trips to help encourage you to ask for what you need when shopping and help to make the event less traumatic or triggering.
- Getting rid of clothes that no longer serve you can be an emotional process and oftentimes holding on to old clothing can keep you stuck. I can help you to rid your closet of your “sick” clothes to make room for clothes that better serve you today.
- I can attend a special event such as a vacation, wedding, graduation, conference with you where you may require extra support to face triggers or guidance to abstain from eating disorder behaviors. (Specific terms and conditions may apply)
Treatment Team Coordination
- I will coordinate with a client’s treatment team to assist them in meeting agreed upon goals. I currently use Simple Practice as my back office, which is HIPPA compliant, and facilitates my ability to share session notes and other documentation between me, the treatment team, and client. I utilize Hushmail as my email platform which is also HIPPA compliant and has a signed BAA. I require an ROI (Release of Information) to signed and in place as part of the coaching contract.
Availability during Non-traditional Hours
- The flexibility of coaching allows me to work with your schedule and during times when other treatment teams members may not or cannot be available. That means I can be available during and/or outside of “traditional” 8:00 am – 5:00 pm business hours. For example:
- Need to ensure you eat breakfast before morning classes or going to work? We can schedule an early morning breakfast meal support session to get your day started.
- The only time available to yourself is 8:00 pm after the kids have gone to bed? Let’s schedule a video session from a quiet area of your choosing (seriously, I’ve had talking sessions with clients from their closets and meal sessions with clients eating in their cars at the office).
In-between Session Access
- Support isn’t only provided “in session” but extends out in the real world as well. As a client, you will have access to me via text and email to reach out during stressful situations for extra support in the moment. For example:
- If you’re out to dinner with friends and you need help shutting down your eating disorder thoughts, or
- You would like assistance to not engage in a specific eating disorder behavior.